I am on the board of the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, and had a meeting this morning with the new headmaster, who happens to be the first deaf head of school in something like 40 years. Boggling, isn't it?
I have all sorts of insecurities about being involved with this school. It has a remarkable history, does really amazing work on behalf of deaf students, and has a board made up of some of the most incredible and accomplished people I've met. It's hard to not feel like a piker around them. Anyway, I met with Dr. Taub this morning. I was nervous for a few reasons: one, feeling unqualified, two, not knowing how to sign (more on that later) and three, wondering what I'm going tell him my ideas are for the progression of the board.
I got over feeling nervous pretty quickly. The guys is the most affable, genuine person I've met in a long time. There's no one he can't make feel comfortable - and that's with speaking through an interpreter. The signing thing came up right away. I walked in the door, sat down, and we started to exchange our niceties before getting to the meat of the meeting. My embarrassment at not being able to sign was nearly crippling. It was almost like a moment of clarity: There is no way I can effectively govern this school if I don't speak the same language as the students do. No way. So to an already full plate, I've now committed to learning ASL. I have a two week break after tomorrow before the next quarter starts. Think I can teach myself by then? The way Dr. Taub lit up at my determination to do it has just added fuel to the fire....
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I feel like a total piker for asking this but what is a 'piker'??
..and how did you end up on the board of everything?
..and you are a great asset to the community.
..and good luck with the whole ASL thing, at least its not German right?
I think a piker is someone who is new and unexperienced. BUT, when I looked it up it's actually a term for someone who is cheap and stingy. Hm. That doesn't fit at all. have to change that.
I get recommended to them. I'm only on two, and one requires hardly any work.
Post a Comment