Anyway. This morning I arrive at Local 332 for the meeting, and get buzzed through three doors into a maze of corridors. I don't know which way to go, and there is no one there to help. I notice the smell of bacon in the air, and remember what the Boss said last night when he asked me to go in his place ("wait til you see the food!") and followed the scent. I was early (I'm always early) and I entered a conference room that smelled so strongly of bacon I was nearly faint. Now, I don't eat meat, but I LOVE the smell of bacon. It's heaven. I'd wear the perfume. So for me to be overwhelmed by the smell of bacon means it's got to be strong. Sure enough, in a small alcove in the conference room was a kitchen. There were two people, a man and a woman, working in there. They were piling food up as though there was a wedding buffet coming. Sausage (links and patties), bacon, grits, eggs, potatoes and biscuits. A huge bowl of fruit salad and bottles and bottles of juice and soda. Did I mention that this Committee is made up of 8 people? And a few usually don't make it to the meetings? Yeah. There were 5 of us at the table, and enough food for easily 20. Then I had a dilemma. I don't eat meat and the eggs were (I'm sorry nice wonderful lady who cooked them) runny. But I was able to see how happy this big warm breakfast made people, and how much the woman who made the breakfast loved serving it up, and the people who work in the union sneaking in and being handed plates piled high with food.
So that's how my day started. It's a good way to start the day; with someone proudly cooking you a breakfast that will kill you, even if you don't eat it.
1 comment:
i wish someone would hand me a plate piled high with food.
Post a Comment