Wednesday, September 24, 2008

FUN and recovery

Well, it's a really blurry photo, but that's Santi on stage. Last night I went to see Santogold at the TLA on South Street. I haven't been to South Street in ages, and it brough back all sorts of ridiculous memories of being in highschool (and maybe before) and raging against my mother to let me go. I looked around last night and thought "Oh for God's sake, I would never let my daughter come down here!"

I met some friends before the concert at a bar, which again I haven't done in ages. Big, huge credit to Leo who not only happily covered the home front for me, but actually encouraged me to go when I started to feel a little middle aged around 5pm. One of the friends I met is a mother of 3, so we each had a giddy moment of being Out Without Children After Dark. The other folks were also friends from high school, and I was so happy to see them I didn't even feel that weird high school residue that sometimes spoils these kinds of opportunities. So we got into town around 8, and I knew Santi wouldn't go on until later. I had no idea that later was 10:45. Holy cow!! How do people stay up this late?? If not for the excitement to see an old buddy perform (in front of a packed, adoring house), I may not have made it. 

Santi was amazing. Her voice is strong and deep, or light and airy depending on what she's singing. Her stage presence is riveting, and her between song banter is short, funny and totally Santi. I got to see her mom and tell her how amazing her daughter is. Apparently, that was not news. 

But let's address the really important question, right? How's the knee, Oona? Well thanks for asking. I went to the doctors on Tuesday morning and was told that it was a slight tear (apparently that's what they call sprains now) of the outside soft tissue. I know it has a more technical name, but I don't remember. I was given a slip for an x-ray ("even though it won't show anything in the soft tissue" - thanks doc!!) and told to make an appointment with a sports doctor for rehab. I've been so busy since then that I haven't done any of those things, but I did follow one piece of advice and got a good, tight, knee-cap exposing brace. I've been wearing it ever since, taking a regular dose of Advil and icing when I can (which is pretty often). The level of improvement I've seen in the past two days is amazing. I can walk up stairs ok, can't walk down the stairs too well yet, but that will come.  Leo went and got me some Vitamin E, C complex and a Glucosamine blend which is supposed to be great for joint and connective tissue ailments. I'm feeling so much more optimistic about things now. I'm even letting Toby start to talk me into a November half marathon. Don't tell Leo, he'll probably lock me in the basement. 

5 comments:

ADW said...

I can't stress this enough: BE CAREFUL! Those sorts of injuries will lead to arthritis fast! Before you know it they'll be going in to 'clean things up' and I'll have to fly down to watch the surgery (saw a great one last semester of an injured knee)

DON"T run until healled! You have wonderful muscle memory and you'll pick back up right where you left off so don't worry.

glad the concert was fun you ol lady

ADW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OonieBird said...

I'm so lucky to have a sister who would come watch my surgery. I'll be careful. I promise, and your mention of arthritis totally sobered me up.

Eliza said...

yes, be careful with your knee! Recovery is important. you're way too young to be talking about arthritis!

And awesome about the concert! It sounds like so much fun! I have to find a way to see her!

James. said...

HEY! If it wasn't for your comment, I wouldn't have remembered that Ali told me about her blog a long time ago and then I immediately forgot about it. So, hey, don't feel so bad. Now we are all blog friends, oh, and siblings.