Saturday, January 31, 2009

Black Tie Schmack Tie

Last night was a black tie ball that my boss had a table of ten for. He asked if I'd like to go a few weeks ago, but I was put off by the Friday night/black tie combination. I have a hard time reconciling work events with weekends. So at the last minute a guest cancelled and he had two tickets. He had extended an invite to someone, but warned me that if they couldn't come, I needed to be there. This was at 4pm yesterday. The ball started at 7pm. Black tie, remember? Two tickets. So I started panicking, thinking through every item in my closet, desperate to come up with something that would pass for black tie. And the second ticket! Leo had been battling a stomach bug all week and I knew that a) he wasn't up for it and b) we'd never get a sitter. Who would I take? I asked some work friends, who all gave me horrified looks. Really, who invites someone to a black tie event with three hours notice? Especially when the invite won't be confirmed for another hour? Crazy. I had finally resolved to just go by myself, to swing by Banana Republic on the way home to pick up a dress, and be an hour late. No big deal. It might even be fun. Who knows?

You know what happened, right? My cell rang at 4:50, with the boss on the line to inform me that the person he invited came through and I was off the hook. 

Yay?


1 comment:

ADW said...

I still would have gone shopping and pretended to have really needed something like, uhh, a new pair of jeans?? or a cute new sweater or some funky striped socks, and some hand lotion, nice pens for writing with, a couple magazines like Utne and Mother Jones, and and and and...

So what did you do?