I guess one of the perks of having this mild breakdown is that it's forced me to get my ass outside and run. Discovering the beauty of Kelly Drive, and being amazed at my ability to run five good paced miles a few times a week has helped me feel like I'm back on the path. I skipped running this weekend, and felt the panicky blues catching up with me on Sunday. Just the act of packing my running bag on Sunday night, knowing that I had five miles waiting for me along the river made me feel better. I had a great run on Monday, fast (for me - 51 minutes for 5.3 miles) and strong and happy. When I got to the parking lot and opened the door of the car to get out I had an overwhelming feeling of "nah, I'll just go home." Thankfully I didn't listen to myself, and forced my body to MOVE. The first mile was hard and kind of stiff, but the rest was incredible. Tomorrow we're having dinner with my mom, so I was planning on running today in anticipation of not being able to get my Weds. run in, but I remembered my new goal for the year. DO NOT GET INJURED. I'm really trying to make it through the winter/spring with a comfortable level of miles, and then be healthy enough to really train for the three (four?) races I want to do this summer/fall, and come out the other side without an injury. So here's the new plan:
1. Run every other day (I'll squeeze one in tomorrow before dinner)
2. Maintain mileage of 15-25 miles a week.
3. Long runs on weekend no more than 2 miles longer than weekday runs.
4. No weekday runs longer than 5 miles until March.
We'll reassess in March and see how that's working. I know that my running has been vastly improved because of the sedative I'm taking at night - I'm getting at least 9 hours of sleep. Hopefully when I stop them (this weekend) I'll be able to get that kind of rest again. Maybe the memory of how much stronger my body feels will encourage me to get to bed earlier.
1 comment:
Your running sounds amazing. Makes me want to start... maybe. I'm glad you have that to keep you going!
Post a Comment