Monday, February 9, 2009

Who knew I had muscles there??

I did not run this weekend. Instead, I went to a yoga class at my friend Brooke's house. I've known Brooke since high school, and we have a dear friend in common. She always intimidated me in high school - she was older, gorgeous, goth, and really into clubs and all sorts of grown up things that freaked me out. I've been so lucky to get to know her again as an adult, and she is one of the most wonderful people I've ever met. You know how some people are just open hearted? That's Brooke. She understands everyone's flaws, and forgives them. She exudes warmth and love, and there is something incredibly soothing about being around her. Needless to say, when I found out she was teaching a yoga class in her house (blocks from mine), I was there. 

It was really incredible. I haven't done yoga in years, and when I did a regular practice it was bikram yoga, which is done in intense, moist heat. It's very draining and difficult, but I loved it. One of the things that I've admired about Brooke is the way she carries her body. Her movements are very fluid yet obviously intentional. She considers movements, and seems to enjoy the simplest thing like sitting, or walking, or turning around. She's very present in her body, which I've often found difficult - how to be aware of what feels right without straining. This yoga class was so different from anything I've done. It was not about getting into the pose the "right" way, or holding it for the "right" amount of time. It was about feeling the space in your joints, and expanding your spine, and breathing, breathing, breathing. We did many poses (whatever Brooke thought was good for where we were), but really focused on the process of getting into the pose, and releasing and re-doing if it didn't feel right. Brooke worked with me on sitting properly, and how to help my body deal with the short, tight hamstrings I have from running. It didn't feel strenuous at all, but I did have quite a few "aha!" moments when I could feel my spine lengthen a bit and my lungs open up. 

Today I am oddly sore. I feel kind of beat up, but more like muscles that I didn't know existed have woken up and are ready to be stretched again. I hope that she does another class next week.






3 comments:

Eliza said...

sounds awesome! I love yoga, but I don't do it often enough.

Anonymous said...

Hi Oonagh, Just found your blog from Alison's. Have seen some photos of you and your lovely boys on the Walsh and Waddell Family blog and feel I sort of know you. Your blog makes interesting reading. You sound like a very busy Mom. Life here in Ireland is much less frenetic especially when you are retired and live with four rescue cats and lots of plants. I am your Dad Terry's cousin. My Mom (now deceased ) was your Grandma Eileen's older sister. I have three sisters, Evelyn Dorothy ( Dor) and Therese. WE are all avid readers of the family blog and are getting to know you all. Good luck with your battle with depression. Hope life will get sweeter for you.

ADW said...

ready for a new post ;)