Sunday, November 9, 2008

Progress

It's been six weeks since the half marathon, and in that time I've tried to run once. It was a painful and unsuccessful mile. Today I hit the road again, and ran a pain free mile (thank goodness), then laid off about 1/4 mile into the second and alternated running and walking for the rest of my little two mile loop. I never reached the same threshold of pain, and backed off as soon as I started to feel some discomfort. When I stopped running I had no problem walking, and the discomfort subsided after about 5-10 steps. Right now my knee feels fine. This is incredible progress, and I'm so happy. I definitely feel like I'll be back in running form soon(ish) - maybe not in time for the 5 mile Thanksgiving race (but I'll be there cheering Ali!), but soon enough. While I walked back to the house I thought back on this summer, and the amazing shape I was in. I could run 8 miles without batting an eye, and was running at least 5 days a week. Right now it seems so long ago, and of course I feel like I didn't enjoy it nearly enough when I was doing it. I'd give so much to be able to run even a decent 3 miles! Then I started wondering if it was worth it. Starting with the half marathon, which I loved and am so proud of, but which also set me back this far. I knew I was going to be risking a lot by running it, but at the time it was worth it. Now I wonder if I was foolish to put my short term goal in front of my long term desire to run. Then I looked down at the pile of pills I take every day (glucosamine, vitamin B, C and E, multi vitamin, naproxen) and wondered if it's a sign that I'm getting too old for foolishness like running. 

Ha. Just typing that horrified me. I can't imagine not running. I think I'm just daunted by the baby steps it's going to take to get back there. And dreading the inevitable race that I decide to risk injury for because I want it so badly that I'm willing to recover for months. It's all cyclical....

2 comments:

ADW said...

1) we're running that race together dammit!
2) we should set a lifetime goal of running a marathon together
3) i don't know what 3 is but I'm running at my slowest speed to date and just enjoying the meditation that comes along with the run. You can do it, we'll do the Turkey Trot real slow and just laugh and catch up the whole time!

Eliza said...

I'm so not a runner (though I wish I were) so I'm impressed with everything you do. I'm with Allison-- you'll get there and do it!